Members of the Select Reserves are eligible for tuition assistance (TA) through their respective branches.

Army Reserves (USAR)

You can apply for TA by visiting ArmyIgnitED. If approved, USAR offers TA for 100 percent of tuition and fees up to:

  • $250 per semester credit hour and $330 per credit hour for graduate students
  • $4,000 per fiscal year
  • 16 semester hours per fiscal year

For assistance applying to Waldorf through the ArmyIgnitED Portal, please contact or call 877-267-2157, Ext. 6536.

Eligibility for USAR TA

  • Soldiers must be a drilling Reservist in good standing
  • Solders must declare an educational goal leading to credentials higher than current level attained
  • Soldiers must complete courses prior to separation from USAR
  • Officers must complete four years of service after completion of the last course provided by TA
  • Soldiers must enroll for the independent study course following Army Reserve procedures.
  • Soldiers will be eligible for Army Tuition Assistance (ATA) upon successfully completing one year of military service following graduation from Advanced Individual Training.
  • Soldiers can use ATA for a second, higher-level degree (post bachelor's) once they have ten years of service, if any portion of the undergraduate degree was funded with ATA.  There is no ten year requirement if ATA did not fund any portion of your undergraduate work.
  • Soldiers can utilize ATA to cover up to 130 semester hours toward a bachelor's degree and 39 semester hours towards a graduate degree.

Air Force Reserve (USAFR)

To apply for USAFR TA, contact your education service officer. The USAFR TA offers 100 percent TA for undergraduate degree programs and 75 percent for graduate studies up to the set cap of:

  • $250 per semester credit hour
  • $4,500 per fiscal year

For assistance applying to Waldorf, please contact

An airman must be actively participating (for pay and points) and be in good standing (does not have a UIF, not placed on a control roster, not pending or issued an Article 15, and/or not pending court martial) from the time the airman applies for and completes the course(s).

Tuition assistance is only available for courses leading to a degree at a level not already held by the airman or higher. Example: Airmen who already possess a bachelor's cannot apply for an associate's or second bachelor’s (education levels must be progressive and not equivalent).

EXCEPTION: Airmen pursuing an associate degree from Community College of the Air Force in their primary controlled Air Force Specialty Code are authorized tuition assistance regardless of any other degrees held.
Airmen are responsible for paying all costs up-front to attending institution.

Coast Guard Reserve (USCGR)

The USCGR currently does not offer Tuition Assistance to Reservists.

U. S. Navy Reserves (USNR)

The USNR currently does not offer Tuition Assistance to Reservists.

Marine Corps Reserve (USMCR)

The USMC currently does not offer Tuition Assistance to Reservists.