All active-duty Air Force personnel may be eligible to receive Air Force Tuition Assistance (AFTA). This program covers 100 percent of the cost of tuition and fees for classes taken during off-duty hours within the cap limits set by the Air Force:
- $250 per semester credit hour and $285 per credit hour for graduate students
- $4,000 per fiscal year
- 16 semester hours (24 quarter hours) per fiscal year
In order to take advantage of this program, you need to apply using the Air Force Virtual Education Center located within the Air Force Portal. Once you have completed your application, been approved for AFTA and registered for classes you may drop or change a course as long as you notify the institution you are attending and your base education center. If you drop a course after your institution's drop/add date, you will be responsible for the cost of tuition (unless you qualify for a Waiver of Tuition Assistance Reimbursement) and you will need to contact your school and your base's education center.
Please note that AFTA is not available for post-graduate degree coursework or degrees and is not authorized for courses leading to a lateral or lower level degree than you already possess.
An airman will not be eligible for AFTA if
- He/she is missing grades over 60 days from a course end date.
- He/she has suspense dates that have expired
- He/she is missing personal data in his/her education record.
- He/she is requesting AFTA for courses that begin more than 30 days prior to the request date.
- He/she is requesting AFTA for courses that have already began.
- He/she is requesting AFTA for lower level courses from the highest education degree you hold.
- He/she has no degree plan in your record.
- AFTA will be provided for a Community College of the Air Force (CCAF) degree regardless of your education level.
- AFTA will be provided for a civilian college associate degree even if you have a CCAF associate degree provided you do not possess a civilian associate or higher degree.
While you are no longer required to obtain your supervisor's signature on your AFTA form, you are expected to discuss the schedule with him/her to ensure participation and support.