Skip Navigation

Parent's Frequently Asked Questions


Do you recommend the meningitis shot?
The American College Health Association (ACHA) now recommends that students consider the meningitis vaccine to reduce their risk of bacterial meningitis. Adverse reactions to meningococcal vaccination are mild and infrequent and include local redness and swelling lasting one to two days at the injection site or mild fever. Please discuss having this vaccination with your health care providers at the time of your college physical examination.

The vaccination is not available at the Waldorf University Student Health Service office. The Student Health Services can assist you in getting the vaccination at the Mercy Forest City Clinic or at Winnebago Public Health Office.

College students have a greater risk of meningococcal infection than the general population because of activities that are often a part of college life, such as smoking, being around someone that smokes (passive smoking), going out to bars, drinking alcohol, and living in a residence hall. Your child can be at risk because the infection is easily spread through direct contact with oral secretions. Such contact includes coughing, sharing utensils or kissing. And, of course, even if they live off campus and don't' smoke or drink themselves, all college students are at a greater sick for meningococcal infection because of the close contact they have in classes and activities with other students. Fortunately, this type of meningococcal infection can potentially be prevented with a vaccine.

If you would like more information on meningitis, please contact the Student Health Services Office or go to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention or American College Health Association.

Do you give the flu shot on campus?
We have flu shots available on campus one day in the fall typically the end of October. The Winnebago Public Health Office administers the vaccine for a minimal fee.

What immunizations are required?
All enrolling students need to provide proof of two MMR (measles, mumps, rubella) vaccinations, the date of your last diphtheria / tetanus booster, complete a TB questionaire, proof of polio vaccine and varicella (chicken pox). Recommended by not required immunizations are: Hepatitis B series, flu shot, and, meningitis vaccination.

Will you call me if my student is sick or needs emergency care?
Not routinely, but this can be done if the student requests it and signs a written release of information.

How can I get access to information about my student's health?
Student medical records are strictly protected by HIPAA guidelines. If you student is 18 or older, this means that, without express written permission, we are restricted by law from releasing information about their care to anyone, even parents. You should discuss these regulations with your student and request that they sign consent to release information if they would like you to receive information about their care. See our Notice of Privacy Practices.

What medical and/or dental services are available in the area?
Click here for a complete list of medical services available in the Waldorf area.

Our student sees a specialist - do you need something from that physician?
A letter from a specialist updating us on your student's current condition, treatments, and medications is useful and will be placed in his/her medical record so that any physician in the area that sees your daughter / son will have up-to-date information.

What about insurance?
We ask that you provide your student with a copy of an insurance card. We will photocopy the card and put it in his/her medical chart to use as needed. View insurance information.

Where will my student be taken if there is an emergency?
They will be taken by the Forest City Ambulance service to the Emergency Room at Mercy Hospital in Mason City or Albert Lea May Hospital (30 miles away).

Where does my student get prescription medications?
There is no on-site pharmacy at Waldorf. The students are free to choose from one of the pharmacies in town.