Explore Waldorf's M.Ed. Program With a Concentration in Social Emotional Learning
Are you a teacher looking to enhance your teaching skills and boost your teaching career? Not sure you can squeeze earning your master’s degree into your busy life?
Earning your M.Ed. online with a concentration in Social Emotional Learning is ideal for you!
Why Social Emotional Learning (SEL)?
Research has shown that teachers who incorporate SEL into their teaching can help their students:
- Improve academic performance
- Reduce behavioral problems
- Enhance social skills
- Increase empathy
- Foster positive attitudes toward themselves and others
SEL can also help students deal with stress, anxiety, depression, loneliness, and other mental health issues that may arise in their lives.
The Waldorf Advantage
Waldorf University’s M.Ed. with a concentration in Social Emotional Learning was developed in collaboration with Erin Gruwell and the Freedom Writers Foundation. Gruwell is a renowned educator, author, speaker, and activist who has dedicated her career to promoting SEL among students from marginalized backgrounds. She is best known for her work with the Freedom Writers, a group of 150 students in Long Beach, California, who overcame poverty, violence, racism, trauma, and low expectations through writing and sharing their stories.
Our Master of Education degree with the SEL concentration and our Graduate Certificate in Social Emotional Learning are both based on the lessons learned as recorded in Gruwell’s best-selling book The Freedom Writers Diary and its companion guide, The Freedom Writers Diary Teacher’s Guide. Each of our SEL courses consists of various modules that include readings, videos, discussions, assignments, and reflections.
What You'll Gain
By earning Waldorf’s M.Ed. online with the concentration in Social Emotional Learning, you will:
- Learn from Erin Gruwell’s inspiring stories and insights into how she transformed her classroom into a community of learners who supported each other through their challenges and celebrated their achievements.
- Explore your own identity and values and how they shape your worldview and interactions with others.
- Appreciate the diversity of perspectives and experiences of your students, among your peers and across cultures.
- Develop skills for resolving conflicts peacefully and constructively through dialogue and collaboration.
Engage in civic action projects that address social issues that matter to you and your community.
Why Earn your M.Ed. Online from Waldorf?
Learn from Faculty Who are SEL Experts
Our faculty members are certified instructors who have been trained by Erin Gruwell and the Freedom Writers Foundation on how to facilitate your SEL education effectively online. You will also have access to a network of fellow learners who share your passion for SEL.
Flexible Online Courses
Waldorf’s flexible online classes allow you to schedule courses around your busy schedule. Whether you are working, teaching, or spending time with friends and family, Waldorf understands that your schedule may not be typical. We make sure that taking courses and earning your degree or certificate online fits your needs.