Position Duties / Responsibilities
Job Title: Summer Whiterock Conservancy Agriculture/ Natural Resources Intern
: Primarily Land Management Operations Manager
: Seasonal 40hr/week, Exempt
Paid hourly with housing available upon request
: May 17- August 24 Flexible on start and end dates.
Whiterock Conservancy stewards over 5,500 acres in West-Central Iowa near Coon Rapids. The gorgeous Whiterock landscape that attracts visitors from all over the state, region, and nation is a mix of savannas, rolling pastures, native and restored prairies, wetlands, riverside bluffs, fishing ponds, crop ground, and unique historic, geologic, and archaeological sites. Whiterock Conservancy was formed in 2004 to manage one of the largest land gifts in the history of Iowa generously given by the Garst family. https://www.whiterockconservancy.org/
To Apply: Please send cover letter indicating level of experience or desire to gain experience on qualifications, resume, 3 references to Attention: Penny Perkins , email@example.com
. Note that a valid driver’s license is required .
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist staff with seasonal pasture preparation.
- Assume primary responsibility of natural resources management (assist with TSI; identify and carry out mechanical and chemical removal of invasive species – thistles, bush honeysuckle, garlic mustard, oriental bittersweet, reed canary grass, thistles etc.)
- Assist Whiterock Conservancy Staff with leading volunteers to help complete tasks/ special projects.
- Assist with summer burn program.
- Willingness to learn to identify and control invasive species in an environmentally sensitive manner.
- Willingness to learn and use various equipment.
- Willingness to travel on business, using own vehicle if necessary, under the existing WRC business travel reimbursement policy.
- Act in the best interest of WRC at all times while serving as an employee.
- Carry out responsibilities in accordance with WRC's organizational policies, programs and procedures.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Assist staff with conducting prescribed fires.
- Ability to operate or learn to operate equipment such as weed trimmer, chainsaw, push and riding mowers, bush trimmer, ride on ditch witch, tractor, ATV’s, and basic power tools such as drills, skill saw, etc.
- Requires outdoor work in all seasons and traversing rough terrain by foot and vehicle.
- Ability to work independently and follow written, verbal, and technical directions.
- Ability to travel using own vehicle when necessary
- Willingness to work evenings and weekends as needed associated with running a service-oriented business.
- Commitment to environmental conservation.
- Strong desire to learn new skills and develop as a professional in a conservation, agriculture, or animal science field.