2019 Summer Ripon Plant Quality Control Intern
For more than 120 years, The J.M. Smucker Company has brought families together to share memorable meals and moments. Guided by a vision to engage, delight, and inspire consumers through trusted food and beverage brands that bring joy throughout their lives, Smucker has grown to be a well-respected North American marketer and manufacturer with a balanced portfolio of leading and emerging, on-trend brands. In consumer foods and beverages, its brands include Smucker's®, Folgers®, Jif®, Dunkin’ Donuts®, Crisco®, Café Bustelo®, R.W. Knudsen Family®, Sahale Snacks®, Smucker's® Uncrustables®, Robin Hood®, and Bick’s®. In pet food and pet snacks, its brands include Rachael Ray® Nutrish®, Meow Mix®, Milk-Bone®, Kibbles 'n Bits®, Natural Balance®, and Nature’s Recipe®. The Company remains rooted in the Basic Beliefs of Quality, People, Ethics, Growth, and Independence established by its founder and namesake more than a century ago. For more information about our Company, visit jmsmucker.com.
Quality Control Intern
Ripon Quality Control Manager
Provide quality control experience to an individual at the Ripon, Wisconsin Plant. Assist with project management and present on Smucker internship experience.
- Plant Operations (40%)
- Adheres to company policies, procedures, GMPs, and practices
- Conducts operational inspections and completes reports for entire facility
- Contributes towards annual validation of HACCP and HACQP plans
- Revise documents as necessary while checking for accuracy and completeness
- Works closely with all levels of the organization to achieve plant goals and objectives
- Monitors processing and packaging defects
- Promotes a positive and safe work environment
- Special projects (35%)
- Conducts special tests, evaluations, and projects
- Assists in identifying potential quality problems, develops and reports on improvement measures, and recommends corrective action
- Maintains quality control records
- Keeps abreast of trends and developments in the quality control field including sanitation, food technology, processing, and governmental regulations and requirements
- Supports QC Lab Operation (25%)
- Performs laboratory tests as required
- Ensures laboratory is organized and maintained in a clean condition
- Inspects and grades products
- Provides up-to-date quality control records and reports
- Perform laboratory calibrations as needed
- Junior Level Food Science, Chemistry, Biology majors preferred
- Familiar with Microsoft Word, Excel, Proficy, &/or other quality database programs
- Management and leadership skills
- Good analytical skills with attention to detail
- Self-directed and goal oriented
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability and desire to work in a team environment
- Able to lift and/or move up to 65 or more pounds and stand for up for extended hours at t time
The J.M. Smucker Company has a unique culture rooted in our Basic Beliefs, strengthened by Our Commitment to Each Other and perpetuated by the creation of an environment that leads to the continued growth of our employees.
- A Culture of Growth – Smucker has a unique culture where every employee makes a difference. Since our founding in 1897, we have had – and will continue to embrace – a commitment to continuous improvement.
- A Company with a Purpose – Helping to bring families together to share memorable meals and moments.
- A Place to Thrive – For more than 120 years, Smuckers has been proud to call Northeast Ohio home. Much like Smucker, Ohio is a vibrant and exciting place, rooted in a strong history and innovative environment.
- Our Home – Our 120-acre, state-of-the-art Corporate campus is designed to create a warm, welcoming environment that facilitates open communication and collaboration, providing a sense of community where people are proud to gather, work, and learn from one another.
- Our Future – As we continue to grow, we look to the future where the best is yet to come. A future shaped by our heritage, our commitment, and our culture.
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement
The J. M. Smucker Company (the “Company”) is an Equal Opportunity Employer. No person will be discriminated against in hiring or in any other aspect of their employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, transgender status, marital status, familial status, disability, genetic information, protected veteran/military status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law.