Century Farms Distillery is a startup micro distillery in Spencer, Iowa. We own and operate our own 2500 bottle-per-week distillery. We manufacture and custom-manufacture whiskey and vodka. We also own and operate a tasting room, where we offer free tours, samples, bottle sales, food & drink sales, logo merchandise and occasional live music. We are located ~ 15 miles south of the popular Okoboji summer destination. Spencer is home to the Clay County Fair, which attracts over 300,000 visitors in the fall.
Whiskey is made from corn, and we are in corn country. The distillery offers a novel program where individual farmers can supply corn that will be used to make whiskey, with their name, state and county appearing on each bottle. The farmer pays a custom manufacturing fee and agrees to a minimum purchase, thus helping front some of the manufacturing cost. The program also assures the distillery a wide geographical variety of corn, allowing targeted marketing of a “buy local” product. The distillery intends to promote this “corn to whiskey program” at the 2021 Iowa State Fair.
The marketing of our whiskey is all about the farm and family that grew the corn used to make individual bottles. Our Prairie States (brand) whiskey features a QR code sticker that includes the farmer’s name, state and county where the corn was grown used to make that bottle. Our flagship Century Farms (brand) whiskey is made using corn grown on farms owned by the same family for 100+ years. Century Farms is barrel-aged and features a family biography on the back of each bottle. Our Prairie States “rapid aged” whiskey and Open Gate (brand) vodka retail in the $15 - $20 range. Our barrel-aged whiskey sells for $33 - $42, with limited availability.
The distillery was founded in 2017 by the current owners, Ryan and Amanda Bare. First vodka sales were April of 2019 and first whiskey sales the following September. Our retail store front and tasting room are now an established business. We are in a growth phase with our manufacturing and need to establish an outside presence to grow our future sales among consumers and at bars, liquor stores and restaurants.
ROLE DESCRIPTION & STRATEGIC PURPOSE:
Grow sales of the Prairie States & Open Gate brands and promote our “corn to whiskey” program. Assess marketing potential for a proposed Power Take Off “PTO” (brand) of well whiskey and well vodka (price point is sub $10). Travel to bars, liquor stores, grocery stores in targeted areas. Act as outside sales rep and introduce the product. Offer samples and trade spending to consumers. Coordinate internet / social media marketing. Promote “corn to whiskey” as a commercial exhibit at the Iowa State Fair.
We are a startup with a certain frenetic energy… Other duties, including assisting with manufacturing or retail operations may be required depending on the needs of the business.
WHAT YOU WILL GAIN FROM THE EXPERIENCE:
- Preferably working towards a degree in business, marketing, or journalism / mass communications or related field. All other degrees will be considered.
- Meet all eligibility requirements for the Iowa Economic Development “Iowa Student Internship Program.” Specifically:must be an Iowa resident, at a 4-year Iowa college within one to two years of graduation. (https://www.iowaeconomicdevelopment.com/WorkforceTraining/student)
- Possess a dynamic, outgoing personality; capable of engaging with B2B clients across a wide range of social, economic, and cultural spectrums.
- Must be able to legally possess alcohol; you will be offering prospective retailers sample bottles of our products.
- Must be available to work during the Iowa State Fair (August 12 - 23, 2021).
- Workdays and hours will vary.This is not a Monday - Friday, 8:00 – 4:00 PM job.
- Possess a valid driver’s license and be physically capable of lifting 50 lbs.
- Willing to live / work from northwest Iowa summer of 2021.
- Prior experience with crop production and grain handling is a plus.(You likely won’t perform this activity but may need to explain how we receive grain to prospective clients.)
The goal of this internship to improve your marketability as a prospective job candidate, upon graduation. You will have worked at a startup. You will have helped launch outside sales for two consumer brands. You will have been immersed in internet / social media marketing. You will have cold-call sales experience.
This is a paid internship.
FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT:
Century Farms Distillery
P.O. Box 1317, 2304 Hwy Blvd.
Spencer, IA 51301