Position Duties / Responsibilities
The Star Tribune Media Company is the upper Midwest’s largest source of news and information, delivering more of what matters to Minnesota all day, every day. In the 16th-largest U.S. market Star Tribune reaches more consumers than any other media brand, with the country’s 7th-largest Sunday newspaper, the most-visited local website, numerous mobile and tablet apps, and a portfolio of print and digital products. In 2013 the company was recognized with two Pulitzer Prizes as well as the Minneapolis Regional Chamber of Commerce “Best in Business” award. The Star Tribune newsroom offers one of the best summer internship programs available in our industry. We select at least 10 candidates for paid 10-week internships each summer. The program targets college and graduate students interested in pursuing careers as reporters, copy editors/multiplatform editors, designers, photographers and multimedia producers.
- Interns are paid the same as a first-year professional
- This opportunity allows students to get real-world experience in a major daily news environment. It can also help with future employment prospects. Over the years, we have hired several of our summer interns into professional-level jobs.
- Our interns are assigned mentors, in addition to supervisors.
- Senior writers and editors hold weekly brownbag lunches to speak with interns about building key skills.
Most successful applicants have:
- completed their junior year in college
- worked for a college news outlet AND interned with at least one other professional daily news organization.
We’re looking for budding journalists who’ve demonstrated they’re ready to make the most of this opportunity. While we would never say never, the odds of your landing one of our internship spots are not very good if you’ve never interned at a professional newspaper, news magazine or website. (Note: We tend to shy away from December grads because they typically find work by the time the summer rolls around.)
How to apply:
Apply for summer internships at StarTribuneCompany.com/Jobs, under current opportunities. Applications are typically due Nov. 1st.
Call Colleen Stoxen at 612-673-7467 or email email@example.com. Or Call Neal Justin at 612-673-7431 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Check back for future openings!