Birmingham Children's Theatre offers full- or part-time internships to qualified high school, college undergraduate or graduate students of the performing arts, arts education or arts administration. Areas for internship may include Production, Administration or Education.
First preference will be given to college students who have already acquired some basic training and experience in theatre and are ready for the next step toward a career in this field. Anyone over the age of 16 who is interested should apply. Applicants should:
- Have a passion for working with young people
- Have a strong respect for the collaborative nature of theatre
- Be willing to engage in the creative process
- Have an excellent sense of humor
- Be reliable
- Know how to be part of a team, but also how and when to take initiative and get things done.
BCT will help any student needing to fulfill specific credit requirements by working with faculty advisors from participating schools. All arrangements for credit must be made by intern. Please provide any paperwork with application.
Each intern will participate in a variety of evaluative measures with department managers throughout the duration of the internship. Interns will be required to complete self-evaluation forms. There will also be periodic, face to face evaluations to discuss progress, plan for future goals and assess program expectations. Final evaluation will be sent to faculty advisor.
Payment and Housing
We are currently offering unpaid internships. At this time BCT does not offer housing.
How to Apply
Fill out an application. Mail completed application along with:
- 3 References
- 1 Letter of Recommendation
- A brief personal statement of what you hope to gain from this internship (no more than 500 words)
- Any paperwork for earning educational credit