Position Duties / Responsibilities
Marketing & Public Relations Internship
Summer 2019 (15 hours per week)
The Des Moines Symphony seeks an energetic, motivated and creative self-starter with strong
organizational skills. The Marketing Intern will be an integral part of the Des Moines Symphony’s Marketing Department for the summer of 2019, working directly with the Director of Marketing & Public Relations, Marketing Manager, and the rest of the Symphony staff.
- Event Planning & Management o Assist in the organization of the annual “Oh Say, Can You Sing?” competition o Manage day-of and logistical details for the Des Moines Symphony’s Yankee Doodle Pops and any additional summer concerts
- Season Marketing & Public Relations o Draft copy for event descriptions, marketing materials and press releases o Maintain and regularly update website and/or blog o Assist with social media and PR tasks in preparation for the Des Moines Symphony’s 2019-20 season
- Season Renewals o Use PatronManager, DMSO’s customer database, to record subscription renewal campaign data and manage customer lists
o Initiate follow-up phone calls and emails to patrons to assist with season renewals
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with a strong eye for detail
- Well-organized and able to work independently
- Ability to meet deadlines and thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent customer service skills via phone and email correspondence
- Proficient in Microsoft Word & Excel
- Interest in nonprofit work and/or arts management
The Symphony’s Marketing Department is responsible for maintaining the Des Moines Symphony brand, providing customer service to Symphony patrons, expanding community outreach efforts, growing social media reach and managing all Des Moines Symphony & Academy public relations efforts. From day one, the Marketing Intern will receive hands-on experience related to nonprofit arts management, subscriberrelations, event management, and season planning.
The Marketing Intern position is a 15 hour/week commitment running June 3-August 16. Must be available for summer concerts on July 3, 14, and 28. This is an unpaid position.
Please email a cover letter, resume, and writing sample if available to Ali Henkle, firstname.lastname@example.org
by Friday, April 5.
The Des Moines Symphony Orchestra
, celebrating its 82nd season in 2019-20, is Central Iowa’s largest and most active year-round professional performing arts producing organization. The mission of the Des Moines Symphony Association is to enrich, educate and inspire our community by performing great orchestral music.