This event is a one of a kind All-State Piano, Vocal & Instrumental Workshop on the Waldorf University campus. The workshop is designed for all interested and all levels of preparation from beginning to advanced. Whether you are looking for a follow-up event to the initial All-State Vocal Workshops held around the state each August or an initial introduction to the materials and audition expectations, this workshop has what you need!
This year's workshop will be held on Thursday, September 28, 2023 and is FREE to attend!
Unique to this workshop is its focus on piano accompaniment skills for those pianists that will be auditioning as an All-State Accompanist. Experience the music in real-time with a choir of voices.
Our workshop enjoys a high rate of audition success for attendees in all areas!
- Dr. Emilie Bertram, Director of Choral Activities for Waldorf University will lead the Vocal Ensemble in mass rehearsals and offer private coaching for well-prepared vocal quartets (sign-up at registration).
- Sectionals led by area master teachers, Jason Heitland, Ethan Pruisman, Annika Andrews and Melissa Shallberg.
- Jackie Burk, former Iowa All-State Choir Chair & Adjunct Professor in Choral Education at Waldorf University will provide audition guidance and private coaching.
- Melissa Phillips, Piano Professor and Collaborative Pianist at Waldorf University will provide private coaching and pedagogy on collaborative pianism.
- Garrett Arensdorf, Adjunct Faculty of Bands Waldorf University and 5-12 Band Director North Iowa Community School District-Tuba/Euphonium/Trombone.
- Dawn Rutt, Adjunct Faculty of Woodwinds Waldorf University, instructor of band at Forest City Community Schools-French Horn.
- Mark Dorr, Adjunct Faculty of Percussion Waldorf University, Des Moines Opera – Percussion
- Bruce Jolivette, Retired from Garner Community Schools – Trumpet
- Bethany Tooley, Director of Band West Hancock Community Schools – Saxophone
- Carolyn Haugland, Des Moines Symphony – Flute
- Bethany Zenk, 6-12 Band Director Lake Mills Community School – Clarinet
- TBA – Oboe/ Bassoon
- 8-8:30 a.m. – Check-in/Registration
- 8:30-8:45 a.m. – Welcome from Waldorf Admissions
- 8:45-10:30 a.m.
- Vocal – Mass rehearsal, sectionals & quartet opportunity
- Instrumental - Audition process clinic & master classes
- Piano - Open score clinic, private coaching & rehearsal observations
- 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. – Provided lunch
- 12:30-2 p.m.
- Vocal Mass – Sectionals, mass rehearsal & quartet opportunity
- Instrumental – Individual lessons
- Piano – Private coaching & rehearsal observations
- Advanced students may be offered the opportunity to accompany sectionals and/or the vocal mass rehearsal!