The C.S. Salveson Award for Distinguished Service
Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.-Aristotle
The C.S. Salveson Award for Distinguished Service was established at Waldorf University to honor extraordinary distinction in service to Waldorf University. The Salveson Award may be conferred upon individuals who have contributed to the building and development of the University through exceptionally valuable and noteworthy service to the University.
Specific criteria for the C.S. Salveson Award for Distinguished Service are:
- Performance that consistently and substantially exceeds in quality, which is normally expected of an individual;
- Performance that has set superior standards of excellence and efficiency in relation to the mission of the University;
- Performance that has resulted in important and significant contributions to the University;
- Performance that consistently and substantially demonstrates ability and willingness to work positively and effectively with others;
- Performance that demonstrates ability and willingness to contribute substantially to positive changes in the priorities, procedures, and organization of the University;
- Performance that consistently and substantially has resulted in important and significant contributions to the University and that has furthered the mission of the University.
The selection of the C.S. Salveson Award for Distinguished Service recipient is not an annual event, but the award is given in those instances of exceptional service to the University. The recipient is selected by the President of the University in consultation with the Chair of the Board of Trustees at Waldorf University.
Alumni Distinguished Service Award
The Alumni Distinguished Service Award recognizes Waldorf alumni who have performed distinctive and meritorious service in areas such as public affairs, education, church, business, and government. They have demonstrated their Christian faith in service to community and church.
To nominate someone for this award, please print out the nomination form (PDF) and return to the alumni office by March 1. If you are unable to print the nomination form, contact the alumni office and one will be mailed to you.
Criteria for Alumni Distinguished Service Award
- Must be an alumnus/alumna of Waldorf University. An alumnus/alumna is defined as someone who has attended one year (minimum 24 credits) of classes at Waldorf.
- Performed distinctive and meritorious service in areas such as public affairs, education, church, business, government.
- Fidelity to Christian conviction in one’s calling and responsibility to the church.
- Representative of the ideas of Waldorf University.
Recent Alumni Award for Service
Waldorf’s mission is to educate the whole person in the spirit of Jesus Christ, enabling each individual to experience fulfillment through a life of service. The Recent Alumni Award for Service is presented to a recent alumnus who has demonstrated outstanding service to their community, church or Waldorf University. The alumnus must have graduated within the past 10 years. This award was established in 2004 with the first award being presented in 2005.
To nominate someone for this award, please print out the nomination form and return to the alumni office by March 1. If you are unable to print the nomination form (PDF), contact the alumni office and one will be mailed to you.
Criteria for Recent Alumni Award for Service
- Must be a graduate of Waldorf University.
- Graduated with the past 10 years
- Provided outstanding service to community, church or Waldorf University (community includes local, state, country or world). It could be in one or all three areas. Service is not restricted to only volunteerism. The nominee can be an employee of a non-profit organization, a couple or a group.
- Represents the ideals of Waldorf University.
A selection committee will review all nominations each spring and select one to receive the award in the fall. If your nominee is not selected, their file will remain open for three more years and be reviewed with the next year’s nominations.
Athletic Hall of Fame
The Athletic Hall of Fame recognizes individuals who have been a part of the athletic program at Waldorf and who best exemplify the spirit, integrity and philosophy of the department and its programs. Former players, coaches, and other individuals who have made significant contributions and brought honor to the athletic program and the university are eligible for selection into the Athletic Hall of Fame.
Criteria for Athletic Hall of Fame
For the selection of student-athletes
- He/she must have been a letter winner at Waldorf University.
- Selections will not normally occur until at least 10 years following the student-athlete’s participation at Waldorf University.
- While athletic achievement is of prime importance, outstanding achievements after leaving Waldorf University will also be considered in making selections.
- Alumni serving on the selection committee may not be considered for induction into the Athletic Hall of Fame while serving on the selection committee.
For the induction of coaches
- Candidates selected to the Hall of Fame from the ranks of Waldorf coaches will be considered on the basis of the following:
- Length of their coaching career at Waldorf
- Concern for the welfare of students
- Support for the mission of Waldorf and its academic program
- Character and integrity
- Outstanding achievements during and where appropriate, after serving at Waldorf
- No member of the selection committee will be eligible for induction while serving on the committee.
- Five years must have elapsed after completion of a candidate’s service as a coach at Waldorf before he/she may be considered for selection. (This requirement may be waived in special circumstances.)
For induction of people who have given special service to the athletic department
- A person who has supported the Waldorf University Athletic Department in a special manner, but who does not fall into category of former student-athlete or coach maybe inducted into the Athletic Hall of Fame.
- Such candidates must receive affirmative votes by two-thirds of the selection committee to be selected.
To nominate someone for this award, a letter listing all known accomplishments and any supporting documentation should be sent to:
Athletic Hall of Fame Selection Committee
Waldorf University Athletic Department
106 South Sixth Street
Forest City, IA 50436
View the complete list of Athletic Hall of Fame Inductees.