Waldorf’s A.A. in Communications degree provides hands-on experience with current technology to prepare students for careers in the communications industry. Students will have the opportunity to learn these technologies through a creative, project-based experience. Students will explore a variety of areas within communications including:
- Digital Production and Social Media (COM 1020)
- Graphic Design (COM 1010)
- The Relationship Between Mass Communication and Pop Culture (COM 1030).
Students can also explore either:
- Journalism (COM 1040)
- Critical Thinking Skills for Visual Media (COM 2010).
Option to Continue Towards a Bachelor’s Degree in Communications
For students who may wish to pursue a bachelor’s degree in Communications in the future, the associate degree program is designed to prepare for entry into Waldorf’s bachelor’s degree programs with upper division standing.
Estimated time to complete the associate degree program is two years with full-time enrollment.
Required hardware is listed within the course descriptions in the course catalog.
Waldorf’s Communications program requires a Mac or Windows compatible computer with the minimum specifications needed to operate Adobe Creative Cloud.
Required software is listed within the course descriptions in the course catalog and below.
Pricing for Adobe CC (Creative Cloud), one of the primary software packages used in the program
Adobe Creative Cloud is required for the following courses:
- COM 1010, Introduction to Graphic Design
- COM 2010, Visual Theory
- COM 3020, Radio Production
- COM 3030, Television/Film Production
- COM 3400, Digital Imaging
- COM 4010, Web Design
- COM 4520, Senior Capstone
Additional Hardware and Software Requirements
Additional required hardware and software is listed within the course descriptions in the course catalog and below.
- COM 1020, Introduction to Digital Technology requires Video Camera; Camera; Keynote or equivalent; Final Cut Pro X or equivalent.
- COM 3020, Radio Production requires an External Microphone; Avid Pro Tools or equivalent.
- COM 3030, Television/Film Production requires Video Camera; Final Cut Pro X or equivalent.