Skip Navigation

Library - History

1903
The first library at Waldorf University was located on the first floor of Salveson Hall. Thorvald Thorson was the librarian and it held several hundred volumes.

1921-1933
The library collection grew to 3,500 volumes and a part-­time librarian was added.

1944-1945
The Library collection outgrows its current area and expanded into several rooms in the south end of Salveson Hall. Evening hours were added to accommodate students' busy schedules.

1958-1978
The collection grew significantly and the library expanded into the basement of Salveson Hall. Several staff members were added and the library collection was reclassified into the Library of Congress classification system.

1979-1984
The collection reached 45,000 volumes and a new library committee was formed to begin plans on building a new library building.

1984-2005
The Voss Memorial Library, given to Waldorf by two sisters, Mrs. G. Wallace Peterson and Mrs. John K. Hanson (Luise V.), opened in the fall of 1984. Major gifts from the Kinney­-Lindstrom Foundation and Mr. and Mrs. Willard Latham completed the furnishings. The 10,680 square foot facility held seating for 150 and a book capacity in excess of 50,000 volumes. It provided a light and spacious area for study and research in the heart of the college campus.

2003
In October, as Waldorf celebrated its 100th anniversary, the university received $4.5 million from the John K. and Luise V. Hanson Foundation to fund a new library. The announcement was made during the university’s rededication ceremony Oct. 11 as part of its centennial celebration. Planning and construction of the new library started immediately.

2005
Waldorf hosted the grand opening of the Luise V. Hanson Library.