About the Library

Library History

Mission Statement

By wisdom a house is built, and through understanding it is established; through knowledge its rooms are filled with rare and beautiful treasures.
- Proverbs 24:3-4

At the Luise V. Hanson Library, our mission is to meet the academic needs of the Waldorf College community and to encourage lifelong learning. The library provides access to resources and information networks supporting academic programs, appropriate technology, education in information literacy, and a physical space for intellectual development.

History

1903

The first library at Waldorf College was located on the first floor of Salveson Hall was staffed by one librarian, Thorvald Thorson, and held several hundred volumes.

1921-1933

The library collection grew to 3500 volumes and a part-­time librarian was added.

1944-1945

The Library collection outgrows its current area and expanded into several rooms in the south end of Salveson Hall. Evening hours were added to accommodate students' busy schedules.

1958-1978

The collection grew significantly and the library expanded into the basement of Salveson Hall. Several staff members were added and the library collection was reclassified into the Library of Congress Classification System.

1979-1984

The collection reached 45,000 volumes and a new library committee was formed to begin plans on building a new library building.

1984-2005

The Voss Memorial Library, given to Waldorf by two sisters, Mrs. G. Wallace Peterson and Mrs. John K. Hanson (Luise V.), opened in the fall of 1984. Major gifts from the Kinney­-Lindstrom Foundation and Mr. and Mrs. Willard Latham completed the furnishings. The 10,680 square foot facility held seating for 150 and a book capacity in excess of 50,000 volumes. It provided a light and spacious area for study and research in the heart of the college campus.

2003

In October, as Waldorf celebrated its 100th anniversary, the College received $4.5 million from the John K. and Luise V. Hanson Foundation to fund a new library. The announcement was made during the College’s Rededication Ceremony on October 11 as part of its Centennial celebration. Planning and construction of the new library started immediately.

2005

Waldorf hosted the grand opening of The Luise V. Hanson Library.