The first library at Waldorf College was located on the first floor of Salveson Hall was staffed by one librarian, Thorvald Thorson, and held several hundred volumes.
The library collection grew to 3500 volumes and a part-time librarian was added.
The Library collection outgrows its current area and expanded into several rooms in the south end of Salveson Hall. Evening hours were added to accommodate students' busy schedules.
The collection grew significantly and the library expanded into the basement of Salveson Hall. Several staff members were added and the library collection was reclassified into the Library of Congress Classification System.
The collection reached 45,000 volumes and a new library committee was formed to begin plans on building a new library building.
The Voss Memorial Library, given to Waldorf by two sisters, Mrs. G. Wallace Peterson and Mrs. John K. Hanson (Luise V.), opened in the fall of 1984. Major gifts from the Kinney-Lindstrom Foundation and Mr. and Mrs. Willard Latham completed the furnishings. The 10,680 square foot facility held seating for 150 and a book capacity in excess of 50,000 volumes. It provided a light and spacious area for study and research in the heart of the college campus.
In October, as Waldorf celebrated its 100th anniversary, the College received $4.5 million from the John K. and Luise V. Hanson Foundation to fund a new library. The announcement was made during the College’s Rededication Ceremony on October 11 as part of its Centennial celebration. Planning and construction of the new library started immediately.
Waldorf hosted the grand opening of The Luise V. Hanson Library.
Copyright © 2013 Waldorf College | Forest City, Iowa 50436 800.292.1903 (Residential Programs) | 877.267.2157 (Online Programs)